Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Thoughts on being a homeschooling mother

This is a subject that I've wanted to write about for a long time. It's a subject that I've been hesitant to write about in the past. I've been worried that some how I would offend someone by saying what I really feel. Maybe because I've been really sensitive about other people's comments or criticisms. I'm not very good at writing down my thoughts and expressing myself. I've recently met a group of homeschooling moms who are amazing. They inspire and uplift me. They remind me that I'm not alone in this awesome journey of educating my children. Being a homeschooling mom is very lonely sometimes. One amazing mom in this group says she doesn't have a "thick skin" and I kinda feel the same way. I feel like I'm a failing when I hear comments like; so and so "is reading or doing math at the 5th grade level and he/she is only in the 1st or 2nd grade" and then looks at me like my kids are stupid or I'm failing to teach them so they fit into the "normal level". I'm trying really hard to get past this, to not be so sensitive. Don't get me wrong, all mother's love to share "brag" about their kids achievements and strengths, I'm totally one of those moms! But sometimes it's obvious that my kids are being compared and criticised. Or it could be just my own insecurities.


Today this group of homeschooling moms and all our children got together. Two of the mom's have teenagers and are "veteran" home school moms. I'm so impressed with these teenagers! There were a lot of kids, at least 15, ages 9 months to 16 or 17 yrs old. They all went outside to play and I was never once concerned about the kids cause I knew the older ones would keep an eye on the younger ones. I was impressed with the teenagers who seem to be mature way beyond their years. They were gentle and kind with the younger kids. They are very intelligent well rounded kids who seem to have a strong sense of who they are and where they are going. I want my kids to be that way! I enjoyed my time with these new friends. They have so much experience and wisdom, they've been where I am as a homeschooling mother. I love their little bits of wisdom and advise. It's nice to feel that I'm okay. To be reminded that I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing. I don't take my children's education lightly. I've put many hours of thought and prayer into this. I have no doubt that this is what I'm supposed to do. I love teaching my children. I love seeing the joy in their faces when they learn something new and exciting. I love the freedom of letting them really explore something they are passionate about. I love seeing Noah learn about Leonardo Da Vinci and being inspired by his sketch books. Noah now has a sketch book of his own and has spent many many hours drawling and sketching this week. I love having my children close to me (even when they drive me crazy)! I love being a mother!

8 comments:

joanofark said...

LaShaunna you are amazing person! I have always looked up to you as a person, as a wife, and as a mother. You are amazing!

joanofark said...

oh that was sass :)

Steph said...

You are amazing and your kids are amazing. I admire your family so much.

bhardesty said...

LaShaunna, this has been your dream since before you even had children. Your children are so lucky to have such a wonderful teacher. Hey, I have been homeschooling Champagne for the last two years. I feel like you. It is not for the "faint of heart"! She is going into 9th grade this next fall. Can you believe it!

Lara said...

I only homeschool my kids for 8th grade, but it's been an amazing experience for us. I love hearing of your thoughts on homeschooling and your creative teaching ideas!

Aby Runyan said...

I'm nearly sure we're starting home school for the next school year. I've actually had an internal debate going on about it since before I had kids. Now I'm ready to just stand up and do it. My kids are 100% on board. My hesitation has always been "wanting to make the right decision and not have weird kids". But really I think that it's not nearly as big a deal as everybody makes it. SO SO SO many kids in "real" school are weird themselves!!
For now I've decided to take it one year at a time. So we'll probably be doing next year, Rome will be in 1st and Capri in 2nd. Then we'll go from there. If a kid wants to go back, they'll go back. And if we keep it up then I'll only home school through 6th grade.

We'll see how it goes!

luvs, aby

Valerie H. said...

Who knows their kids better and how the kids learn best then their mother. Your kids are lucky they get more individual help. Yes home school isn't for sissys. You do well.

Amanda Collins said...

It amazes me that people really feel that home schooled kids are 'weird'. I remember growing up and thinking "wow how lucky!". Even today, I think those kids are very blessed. I also struggled with the decision, not because of society, but because my kids can stress me out. Lashaunna, you know this! But my calling is a mother. The sons of Helamen say 'we knew for our mothers taught us'. I want my kids to have the guidance that a loving mother and father can provide. Also the education that I know I can provide for them. I want to be able to nurture them to grow and learn the best they can, and I don't think our schools are doing that the best. So I will.