

In May someone was handing out squash starters to anyone who wanted squash. We got two plants that were about 2 or 3 inches tall and planted them in our garden. Since we have very limited space we decided to make them climb. Kendall made a frame for them to climb, then added extensions to the frame. The Beast, as we like to call it, is now close to 9 feet tall and still growing inches every day! There are 19 baby squash on it right now and I have no idea what to do with that much winter squash. Kendall goes out to the garden every day and tries to tame the Beast. I think we should just let it grow up over the house (There is nothing in the home owner association saying we can't have giant squash plants growing over our roof, so it's all good, right). We still don't know how we are going to support the squash when they get big. Any ideas are welcome!
4 comments:
If you want my opinion you should just throw it in the trash, on second thought you should by some illegal firecrackers and blow them up in your neighbors mail boxes (this was Ky's idea by the way)
The stem usually gets strong enough to support the weight of the squash but then it likes to pull the vine off the trellis. Old pantyhose cut up and used as a sling around the squash and then tied to the trellis and the squash closer to the ground can be propped up with something placed underneath it. And I have a great recipe for pumpkin ginger muffins that works great with any orange squash so freeze some for the winter. You can also store the whole squash in a cool, dry area if they are properly conditioned.
Kelly
I like your beast- don't blow it up!!! Did you take these pictures today?? Cause you weren't wearing that shirt earlier... I guess you could have changed. I like the idea that Kelly gave with the panty hose! I got a pair I just put in a donation bin- you want?
Your blog is coming along nicely. Do you love your digital camera? Thanks for inviting me to be a reader.
Post a Comment